Finding a Breeder
FINDING A BREEDER
What to expect:
In this day and age of dependency on electronics it is very easy to find Golden Retriever puppies for sale on free internet advertising sites. It would seem that the public will rush to buy a puppy based on immediate availability and lower price. This method of purchasing a new member for you family can result in disappointment and failure of the purchaser to receive a well bred and well socialized healthy Golden Retriever puppy. Only those dogs eligible for registration with the Canadian Kennel Club can be referred to as purebred.
When contacting breeders to discuss the possibility of buying one of their puppies please ensure the following:
1) Both parents of any litter you might consider have all of the health clearances appropriate for our breed:
You should always ask to see copies of all four health clearances and any breeder you approach should be more than happy to show them to you.
2) Both parents are registered with the Canadian Kennel Club (C.K.C.) or the American Kennel Club (A.K.C.). Once again, copies of these certificates should be readily available from the breeder.
3) It is not always possible to see both parents. You should be able to see the dam of the litter interacting with her puppies. She should be happy and outgoing and pleased to spend time with her puppies and happy to meet you.
4) Puppies should be in a stimulating environment and exposed to household activities. This sort of raising practise will help them fit into your home more easily.
5) The breeder should have lots of time to answer your questions and insist, whenever possible, that you meet him/her to discuss the possibility of selling you a puppy.
You should never feel any pressure to purchase a puppy as this is a very important decision. Costs will vary somewhat. The current price for a C.K.C. registered Golden Retriever puppy is about $1.500.00.
Please feel free to contact either our Puppy Referral North or Puppy Referral South representatives with any questions. They are very happy to spend time with you on the phone or in person.